Village Northwest Unlimited Awards Contract for New Homes
Barry Whitsell, President and CEO of Village Northwest Unlimited, announced today that Poppema-Sikma Construction of Sheldon, Iowa has been awarded the contract for the construction of two new Intermediate Care Facility homes for people with intellectual disabilities to be built on the campus of Village Northwest Unlimited.
Dan Poppema, President of Poppema-Sikma Construction said, “We are pleased to be able to partner with the Village and recognize the value to the residents that are served at the Village with the completion of these new homes. We believe in the mission of the Village and the important role the Village plays in our community”.
Construction of the two new homes will begin this spring. Each of the homes will be 5,000 square feet and have six bedrooms. The homes are specifically designed to meet the needs of the population served by the Village and include the following amenities:
- Zero grade entrance
- Open concept dining and living room creating a family atmosphere
- Wide and expansive kitchen facilities
- Double wide hallways to accommodate 2 wheelchairs passing side by side
- Easily accessible medication administration room
- Private rooms with a half bath
- Ceiling mounted track system for safe and convenient transfers of wheelchair bound residents
- Handicap accessible shower and whirlpool tub
The construction of these two homes are part of a multi-phase residential redesign program started at the Village in 2015. Since then four new homes have been constructed.
Whitsell noted, “The construction of these two new homes is the culmination of our Building On Our Promise Capital Campaign that was started in September, 2018. Thanks to the generous support of so many people to our campaign, we will be able to complete this next phase of our residential redesign plan. We are especially pleased that Poppema-Sikma Construction will be the general contractor for this project. Their reputation for quality construction is unparalleled and we value the opportunity to keep this contract locally”.
Many of the trades for the Village project will be kept local as well. The following sub-contractors will be working with Poppema-Sikma on the construction of the homes:
- Plumbing and HVAC – Fred’s Plumbing and Heating, Hospers, IA
- Electrical – J-Electric, Hull, IA
- Earthwork – Boer and Sons, Boyden, IA
- Cabinetry – G&E Cabinetry, Sheldon, IA
- Floor covering – NW Décor, Sheldon, IA
- Painting – Visser Painting, Orange City, IA
- Landscaping – Van Holland Lawn Service, Sioux Center, IA
- Concrete – Van’t Hof Concrete, Sioux Center, IA
- Gutters – Tri-State Gutters, Sibley, IA
- Door hardware – Sparks Door Hardware, Sheldon, IA
- Construction materials – Neal Chase Lumber, Sheldon, IA
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ryan Haack, Director of Development
Village Northwest Unlimited
330 Village Circle – Sheldon, IA 51201