Direct Support Professional
QUALIFICATIONS: Previous experience working with adults with disabilities is preferred. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential. Maturity and the ability to portray a positive adult image will be considered key qualities for employment. Certified Medication Aide preferred, if not currently holding CMA, have intent to become certified.
PURPOSE: Through the development of a strong personal relationship with people served, provide opportunities for their growth and an atmosphere which promotes purpose, privacy, and dignity.
1. Develop and maintain a positive personal relationship with each person served, parents/ guardians of persons served, and co-workers.
2. Responsible for the quality of home life, total home climate, security and safety of the individuals served, and physical condition of the house.
3. Acquire an understanding of the needs of each person served and the team plan designed to meet those needs. Run programs and meet standards of accurate completion of required documentation.
4. Assist and teach persons served to care for themselves in daily living tasks, life skill development, and social skills areas. Provide personal cares as needed.
5. Support the Mission and Values of Village Northwest Unlimited.
6. Assist in ensuring effective and efficient operation of the residential programs by performing tasks as assigned by the Residential Leader. Tasks will include but not be limited to hourly bed checks if working overnight, perform and assist with personal hygiene and grooming needs, etc.
7. Work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of service. This may include evenings, weekends, holidays, overnights, etc.
8. Assist in ensuring effective and efficient operation of the Life Skills program by performing tasks as assigned by the Life Skills Coordinator.
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Lifting: A two person lift is required occasionally. The average weight per lift is 55 pounds. A one-person transfer is required an average of four to six times per shift.
Standing: Due to the range of activities that are required, the ability to stand for an 8-hour shift is necessary
Other requirements as needed: Pulling, Twisting, Cleaning (reaching, bending, vacuuming, etc.), Fine Motor Skills, Bending, Kneeling, Moderate Repetitive Motion, Pushing a wheelchair
Visual/Auditory requirements: Ability to adequately interact with staff and consumers.
** Lifting in the 12-8 shift is dramatically decreased. A one-person transfer is required an average of two to three times per shift.
How to apply
A completed application is required for all open positions before an individual is considered an applicant. Résumés do not substitute for a completed application.
Employment applications should be completed online. You can submit a letter of application, a résumé or curriculum vitae (CV) and any additional required files by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by postal mail to:Village Northwest Unlimited
Attention: Human Resources
330 Village Circle
Sheldon, IA 51201